[Hidden-tech] my dreams and goals

Glenn Johnson mrglenn2u at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 10:20:09 EST 2014

Dear Hidden Tech Friends,

I came on this list in March when I started temping at WGBH Digital Media.
I had recently been bounced out of a community organizing job. Most of my
career has been mobilizing communities to address public health issues -
HIV/AIDS, public health emergency preparedness, and youth substance use
prevention. But I needed a break to regroup and reflect on what was next
for me. I lucked into a job helping WGBH migrate data from
teachersdomain.org to pbslearningmedia.org, thanks to Ted Sicker. And
that's when I joined this remarkable community.

After a lot of soul searching, discussions with close friends and family,
and work with a career coach, I've decided that what I want to do next is
to take leadership on the transformation of our current mental health
system. My personal experience of the system, and that of my mother who has
been in the system for thirty years now, has made me passionate about
wanting to substantially increase the effectiveness (and in some cases
substantially decrease the harm) of this underfunded at times misguided way
of dealing with people going through hard times.

Long term I'd like to see users of the system much more involved in
decision making and funding decisions, increased funding for and research
on alternatives, and a substantially decreased reliance on psychiatric
drugs.

Short term I'm looking for work that will allow me to pay the bills while I
plot out a strategy for tackling these bold audacious goals. I have great
project management, writing, and people skills. I'm also pretty savvy on a
computer and can learn new fields of knowledge expediently. Please consider
me when you are thinking about projects you might need help with.

You can check out my experience and reference on my linkedin
profile<http://www.linkedin.com/in/mrglennjohnson/>
.

If I can be of any help to you in helping make your dreams and goals come
true, please let me know.

Best,
Glenn

--