[Hidden-tech] Easy way to clone a WordPress website?

Shel Horowitz, Ethical/Green Marketing Expert shel at principledprofit.com
Thu Jan 9 10:14:28 EST 2014

Thanks, Rich.

It's not so much the http://www. vs the http//.domain - I think the
site was set up for both.

I already bought making-green-sexy.com and put up a site there, then
this week was able to snag makinggreensexy.com (no hyphens) on the
aftermarket,

Not much to see there at the moment. The site lost its theme when I
updaed to the latest WordPress, and the designer is working on
resoring it. Once that's done and the site is the way I want it, I'll
get it cloned to the new domain.

>Shel and others.
>
>1) For those wondering and with SQL skills - the statement to fix
>the url for a WP site is:
>
>update wp_options SET option_value =
><http://FULL.DOMAIN.TLD>"http://FULL. DOMAIN.TLD" WHERE option_name
>in ('siteurl', 'home');
>
>Note FULL.DOMAIN.TLD is the full hostname you want visitors to see -
>guerrillamarketinggoesgreen.com
>or
><http://www.guerrillamarketinggoesgreen.com>www.guerrillamarketinggoesgreen.com
>and the leading <http://>"http://" is required.
>
>2) it is really critical in today's world that you make sure BOTH
>www. and non-www versions of your site URLs
>work - it's best if the one you prefer is defined as the web site
>and the other has a 301 redirect to the other.
>
>Shel seems to like guerrillamarketinggoesgreen.com so that should be
>the Wordpress site
>and
><http://www.guerrillamarketinggoesgreen.com>www.guerrillamarketinggoesgreen.com
>should 301 to guerrillamarketinggoesgreen.com
>If you don't know how to do a 301 - have your hosting company help.
>
>Rich
>
>On 1/8/2014 11:27 AM, Jeff Brand wrote:
>
>>    **
>>
>>Stefan and others are correct with some caveats:
>>
>>1. The configured Site URL is used often to generate dynamic
>>addresses to login pages, the administrative section, and links in
>>content. If you're attempting to phase out the old domain over
>>time, it might be worth using some automated tools (previously
>>mentioned) to update content to use the new address while still
>>keeping the old one active. If you have no preference which is
>>being used internally, then that action isn't necessary. If you and
>>your visitors watch the address bar carefully, you may find
>>yourself being bumped over to one URL or the other accordingly.
>>This is most likely not a big deal except for your authentication
>>cookies.
>>
>>2. Google should be able to discern that they are the same site
>>under two names. To be sure, make sure your SEO tools are including
>>a "canonical url" tag, discussed here:
>><https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/139394?hl=en>https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/139394?hl=en.
>>View the source of any of your site's pages to verify whether this
>>is in place and as-expected.
>>
>>This should also let you control which url shows up in Google's results.
>>
>>On 1/7/2014 9:09 PM, Stefan Gonick wrote:
>>

>--
>Rich Roth
>Webmaster/Steering Committee Member
>Hidden-tech <http://www.hidden-tech.net>http://www.hidden-tech.net
>The Talent you need is right here,
>Join and share your skills

Shel Horowitz - Green Business Profitability Expert
Helping you find the value in your values since 1981 - because
Green isn't just good for the planet--it's *great* for your bottom line

Contact me to reach Green, socially conscious consumers with
marketing that has THEM calling YOU"

Twitter: @shelhorowitz

* First business ever to be Green America Gold Certified
* Inducted into the National Environmental Hall of Fame

http://greenandprofitable.com/ http://guerrillamarketinggoesgreen.com
mailto:shel at greenandprofitable.com * 413-586-2388
Latest award-winning, best-selling (8th) book:
Guerrilla Marketing Goes Green (co-authored with Jay Conrad Levinson)