[Hidden-tech] email spoofing

Tim Boudreau niftiness at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 23:10:55 EST 2014

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 9:23 PM, Jonathon Podolsky <
producer at wholehealthexpo.com> wrote:

> I don't use an email client or satellite.
>
> Thanks everybody for the information.
>
> It seems clear there is nothing to do in my case other than change
> password.

By all means change your password and make it something difficult.

What people are saying here is that your password probably has nothing to
do with it.  If someone wants to send email pretending to be you, there
isn't actually anything you can do to stop them.

Email was invented before the modern world of security problems.  So an
email can say it is from you the same way that I could walk into a room and
say that I am you - nothing stops someone from doing that.

Modern ISPs and email programs have gotten pretty good at detecting that
situation and marking things as spam, but spammers are clever and nothing
is fool-proof, so it will always be a war of attrition.  There are
legitimate cases for faking the From address on an email - such as this
mailing list.  So even if there were ways to prevent that, it would break a
lot of things people rely on.

-Tim