[Hidden-tech] new spam call technique?

Rich Roth webmaster at hidden-tech.net
Thu Dec 11 10:09:47 EST 2014

Shel and others,
I need to clarify for all that forging an email address requires
(almost) NO technical skill, unlike faking
a caller ID.  Doing that, at a minimum, requires interfacing with the
phone system, although it seems easier
now that VOIP services are more common, at least it is actually illegal
in many cases.

In contrast, forging an email address is so simple, because there is no
verification of the from address
in the underlying SMTP (simple mail transfer protocol) used to send
email, and available on
any internet connected system.  Any 'From address' validation you may
see is done by the user program (MUA)
that you are running, not the transfer program (MTA).

For those interested, look up RFC 821 (dated Aug 1982) and subsequent
IETF RFC's

--
Rich Roth
Webmaster/Steering Committee Member