[Hidden-tech] 'SEO Marketing sales pitches': scams or what?

Bram Moreinis bram at gamefacewebdesign.com
Sun Aug 24 17:44:37 EDT 2014

Hey, Robert.

Well....it's not a scam, IF you want to have your listing show up higher
on Google.  The white hat way of doing that is negotiating good
backlinks on reputable places (e.g. generating articles, adding
listings) and having a clear strategy about anchor text, landing pages,
on-page SEO, etc. etc.

The black hat way is to hijack a bunch of sites and build pages on them
that link to the client's site.  For example, one of my Drupal clients
(Drupal 5, from way back) turned his User settings to allow other people
to create accounts without telling me.  As a result, there were over
1000 users, each with their own "profile page" upon which they could
write anything, and which would be indexed by Google robots.

There were no links to these profile pages from the public site, so no
way for my client to discover it was happening, unless he Googled
himself: site:redhookcurryhouse.com

I deleted all users, deleted all profile content, turned back to change
the user settings (I know, that was in the wrong order), and discovered
that in 2 minutes 5 new users with profiles had been created.  All done
with automation.  Very clever!

I'm punishing him by making it a flat HTML site (if he wants it to be
Drupal again, he has to pay for a Drupal 7 upgrade.

So, my short answer:  Black Hat SEO works fine, and is worth the money
if you need to go that route.

-Bram

--
GF Logo