[Hidden-tech] Satellite Phone

Craig D. Miller cmiller at hampshire.edu
Tue Aug 12 20:47:07 EDT 2014

Hi Ken,

I use a HughesNet Gen4 satellite internet and phone service on a hilltop
in Shelburne.

Internet: $50/month internet for 10/gb/month max (& hook my wifi router
to it) -- fast burst rate (10mb/sec download) for email and web surfing,
FORGETABBOUTIT if you want streaming internet or skype calls, because of
the satellite delay (~700ms ping, if you know what that means).

Phone: $30/month for unlimited US and Canada calling.  I plug my land
line phone into the satellite phone box.  NO direct international
calling, so I just use a phone card with 800 number.

It is only better and cheaper if you have a more expensive or very poor
land line phone, and no clear cell signal and no cable or DSL. That's my
house -- its all relative folks, so "better and cheaper" that what?  For
me it is a life saver.  I use it as a backup, and use cell phone and
office internet for my heavy surfing and calling.

Also, all outdoor wireless signals get blocked by weather -- thick storm
clouds with snow or heavy rain will block a satellite signal. My cell
phone actually gets better in snow, because the snow bounces the cell
signals over the hill that blocks the cell tower.

Craig
craigdmiller.com