[Hidden-tech] New kinds of spam issues

Jeff Brand jeff at deltafactory.com
Thu Aug 7 13:38:23 EDT 2014

While it's not clear which domain of yours is being affected, earlier
today the IP for principledprofit.com was listed on a blacklist. This
could account for some of the delivery problems. Some of the returned
emails may include additional information about the nature of the error,
which may require manual intervention on your part.

I see you have SPF records in place. As long as mail isn't being relayed
through your SMTP servers through a compromised account, there's not
much else you can do. The next step would seem to be more aggressive
filtering on inbound messages.

If you haven't already, consider an audit of your sites with a tool like
WordFence. MailPoet - a popular and powerful plugin - has had some
severe security issues that may have lead to your site becoming the
source of the spam. In the past weeks, I've had customers compromised by
phishing scams and weak passwords - both resulting in large volume of
spam which was luckily caught promptly. Neither were related to
WordPress but were PHP scripts installed to blast spam for as long as
possible.

Best of luck,
  - Jeff