[Hidden-tech] Taking an iPhone to India and Nepal

DAVID SPOUND dspound at mac.com
Mon Apr 28 20:35:17 EDT 2014

Dear Friends,

My son will soon be going to India and Nepal for 3 months.

I would like to give him my iPhone 5 -- AT&T model. This would be for infrequent/emergency use. I am looking for recommendations as to whether this will work for him.

He envisions the following use:

1) Making a few phone calls or sending a few email messages within India and Nepal, mainly to confirm or change travel arrangements as his trip proceeds.

2) Making a few (but not many) calls back to his parents in the U.S. to let us know he is OK.

He might want to send some email and hopes that iPhone will allow him to do this when he has no wifi access (which will be often).

He has little or no interest in sending text messages. Little or no interest in Skype and Facetime calls. He does not want to be in touch with "home" on a frequent basis. This is, as I said, more for infrequent use and in case of emergency.

My questions include:

1) Should he keep the phone "as is" with the original AT&T sim card? My understanding is that the roaming charges for phone calls would be high but he would not make many calls. Also, if I need to call him, I would be placing a "local" call.

2) Should he buy and install a new SIM card when he arrives in India? I have heard that this might allow him to make calls at a more reasonable rate.

3) Showing my ignorance on the subject: will a set up that works in India also work in Nepal?

Any advice would be appreciated. I tried contacting AT&T and received confusing advice.

Best regards,

David

David Spound
Valley Mindfulness