[Hidden-tech] Cable Router

Town Websites townwebsites at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 09:11:29 EDT 2014

I've had 3-floor success with the Asus RT-N16, which runs EasyTomato openwrt
software that provides a lot of control over who can access what, when, as
well as showing signal strength for each connection if you want to try to
tweak your location and antennas.  The router is around $80.

As mentioned, placement is the key for wifi, or use multiple routers.  If
you can put the router in the center of the 2nd floor and minimize
obstructions you'll get better coverage.  I've got sub-optimal placement but
still get decent coverage on 3 floors.

If you've got IP phone and/or you've had problems dropping the cable
connection intermittently, the Surfboard SB6141 appears to be a good choice
to try to resolve connection problems as compared with last generation such
as the SB5120 on Comcast cable.  Knocking on wood, but one day after
plugging in the SB6141 I ordered last week, no phone dropouts and no cable
modem resets.  For Comcast, if the automated registration doesn't work, get
your cell phone out and call 1-800-Comcast to get the new cable modem
registered.  You'll need the MAC ID , perhaps from both your old cable modem
and the new one; it may take 20 minutes or so.

Charlie