[Hidden-tech] Cable Router

Donald Stevens dstevens at tryandfindit.com
Sun Apr 6 20:50:37 EDT 2014

Hello Carey,

I used a Cisco Linksys EA6500 for my home office and most of my clients small offices. I think it costs around $100-$130 at Staples.

It may be just what you are looking for.
Here at home / office we run laptops, smart phones, iPads, TV. and a desktop with no issues. We too  have Comcast for our internet provider.

Can you install this wireless router on the second floor so that it is equal distance from the two ends of your house? i.e. first floor and second floor?

Is your house basic wood frame construction? No, cider blocks or thick walls for the wireless signal to go through?

Do you want to be able to use your network out on the back porch or deck?

You may need an extender. (device that is wired to this EA6500 device and put on the second or third floor depending on if you signal isn't strong enough). This allows the wireless signal to be "repeated" so you don't lose as much signal strength when moving around.

I would start with your wireless router, put it in the second floor, see how it works throughout the house. You can always add an extender later if needed.

Feel free to contact me if you have further questions. I would be glad to hand out some free advice if you need it.

Good luck!

don

Don Stevens
TFI, Inc.