[Hidden-tech] Eventbrite Registration, Updates for 9/27 Symposium: Landscape Architecture, Tactical Urbanism, Public Art, Popup Parks

Lisa Hoag 1world4all at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 18:56:07 EDT 2013

Design Venturers Western Mass is hosting a Symposium: Landscape
Architecture, Tactical Urbanism, Public Art, Popup Parks: The Power of
Design to Transform Our Neighborhoods and The Art of Creative Placemaking.

Hello Everyone,
• We have an updated speaker list and schedule with more presenters,
including James Kitchen, creator of 35' tall "Birdicus Gigantium" erected
in downtown Springfield, MArcos MArerro, City Planner for Holyoke, and
Jessica Allan, City Planner for Easthampton as well as many other wonderful
speakers. • I am inlcuding an updated speaker list  and schedule for the
event below.

• Due to the response to our event, we have created an new eventbrite page
for our upcoming event. Seating is limited so please register at eventbrite
to reserve your place at the symposium.:
http://designventurerswm.eventbrite.com/

For more information, and to become a member of Design Venturers Western
Mass follow these links:
Design Venturers Western Mass
http://www.meetup.com/Design-Venturers-Western-Mass/events/106560942/

DVWM on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Design-Venturers-Western-Mass/642668199101126
(We'd love your help promoting the event).

All the Best,

Lisa Hoag

*Updated Speaker List and Schedule:*
• City Planner, Jessica Allan, City Planner for Easthampton, speaking on
Tactical Urbanism, and Popup Parks.
• Lisa DiPiano, of Mobile Design Lab will be presenting on "Participatory
Design: The Art of Organized Chaos"

• Nancy Howard, MLA will be presenting on:
The Canal Creature Crawl:
Playing with night-terrors of the post-industrial landscape and

The Dinosaur Garden:
An Educational Jurassic Landscape in Holyoke

• Joseph Krupczynski,  / Associate Professor, Architecture + Design Program
at Umass Amherst will present on on the Envision Depot Square project he
did with his graduate students.

• James Kitchen will be presenting on "Springfield of Dreams":
Featuring his 35' tall sculpture, "Birdicus Gigantium", made of recycled
steel and installed in downtown Springfield at One Financial Plaza.

• Marcos Mareiro, City Planner for Holyoke, and Jeff Bianchine, Creative
Economy Coordinator for Holyoke, will be speaking on their revitalization
goals for the city.
• Lisa Hoag will do a presentation on the High Line in New York City and
it's success in helping to transform the Lower West Side neighborhood (the
former meat packing district), into a new and emergent district for
galleries and the arts.
• Rich Stewart, a talented designer, and colleague from New York will be
presenting on how to create virtual representations of environmental
designs in Photoshop, as well as integrating photovoltaic structures into
landscape designs, and some successful urban revitalization projects such
as PS1 in New York that could be used as models elsewhere.
• Steve St. Pierre of Co-ex Corporation will be presenting on outdoor
daylighting shelter projects in public spaces, including a non-attached
polycarbonate shelter structure for a local farmers market, and an arched
structure to bridge an open air space between two buildings, using his
company's, translucent structural multi-wall polycarbonate material.
Please stay tuned as we provide updates to the event.
Here is our speaker scheduled lineup:
Session 1. From 9:00 - 10:30am:
Tactical Urbanism : A Panel Discussion with Jessica Allan, City Planner for
Easthampton, MA, Lisa DePiano, permaculturalist, of Mobile Design Labs, and
Nancy Howard, MLA

Session 2. 10:45 - 11:45am
Room 1: "Envision Depot Square Holyoke", a presentation by Joseph
Krupzcynski, Associate Professor, Architecture + Design Program for Umass
Amherst

Room 2: "Springfield of Dreams", a presentation by James Kitchen, sculptor,
featuring his 35' tall sculpture, "Birdicus Gigantium", made of recycled
steel and installed in downtown Springfield at One Financial Plaza.

Lunch: 12:00 - 1:30pm:
You can either bring a brown bag lunch, or take the short walk to some
nearby restaurants for lunch.
There will be a brown bag, open discussion, Q and A and idea gathering
session for future creative placemaking projects.

Session 3. 1:30 - 2:30pm
Holyoke's Creative Vision: Creativity Takes Courage, a presentation by
Marcos Marrero, City Planner for the City of Holyoke, and Jeff Bianchine,
Creative Economy Coodinator for the City of Holyoke. ("Creativity Takes
Courage" - H. Matisse)

Session 4. 2:45 - 3:45pm
Room 1: Digital Visualization and Prototyping of Virtual Public Spaces, a
presentation by Rich Stewart, Visualization Digital Artist, and Strategist

Room 2: The Dinosaur Garden: An Educational Jurassic Landscape in Holyoke,
a presentation by Nancy Howard

Session 5. 4:00 -5:00pm
Room 1: The Power of Design to Transform Neighborhoods: A Presentation on
the Highline Park in New York City, a presentation by Lisa Hoag, Designer,
Artist, Experimental Environmental Design Coordinator and Consultant

Room 2: Structures of Light: Steve St. Pierre of Co-ex Corporation will be

--
Lisa Hoag Designs
PO Box 983