[Hidden-tech] Municipal Broadband in Northampton

Tom Kopec tek at acm.org
Fri Nov 29 18:51:04 EST 2013

My take on the Amherst WiFI situation, from a purely user perspective:

Coverage is spotty, performance is generally so-so. But you can get some
level of access in all of downtown, and you pretty much can't get
streaming-video-level access anywhere.

But, as far as I can tell it is driven more from the UMass CS (and
possibly PVTA) perspective.

It would be a great business draw to be able to relieve individual
businesses from the burden of providing their customers wifi access,
understanding that having a seamless connectivity framework is a way to
provide a seamless experience to patrons coming into town.

On the other hand, I'm not so clear that providing free (and
awesome-bandwidth)  internet access to all residents in the downtown
area is an idea ready for prime time. Or that it should be.

Kinda speaking off the top of my head here.. sorry..

...tom