[Hidden-tech] Questions about DSLAMs

Jeremy Dunn jeremy.j.dunn at gmail.com
Fri Nov 29 13:11:18 EST 2013

Hi Robert,

Remote DSLAMs are certainly possible, because Verizon uses them in remote
areas of my town (Becket).

What the interconnection rules are, is the question.   My guess is that if
the intentity wishing to interconnect meets certain requirements, the large
carriers are required to accept them; but I can imagine these requirements
being quite steep.

I'm also very interested in this topic because the last-mile costs are
likely to be quite high, especially in very hilly towns like Becket.
Fortunately I live within DSL range of a Verizon CO; but many people in my
town aren't as fortunate.

I'm hoping Matt Crocker or another very knownledgeable person will take pity
on the rest of us and reply with the basic information.

It might also be worth calling MBI (Mass Broadband Institute) to ask them
outright what are in the interconnection requirements.

Good luck!  Let us know what you learn.  I don't often post to this list but
I do read it regularly and find it ever so useful.

- Jeremy