[Hidden-tech] Direct TV

Lynne Rudié lynnerudie at verizon.net
Tue Nov 19 16:36:44 EST 2013

I signed up for DirecTV because, when I moved into my house, they were the only provider that offered NESN (i.e., the Red Sox) as a local channel. Also, I signed up through Verizon and got it bundled, which saved a little bit of money. I dropped it as soon as they would let me out of my contract, which they were very unpleasant about.
	I didn't have a problem with the service per se. Their IT guys were great to deal with but I went through FIVE faulty DVR's in two years and decided it wasn't worth the hassle. The process for returning a DVR involves a very long phone conversation troubleshooting with their IT (even if you know the troubleshooting routine by heart), then waiting for them to send a new one, packing up and shipping the old one back, losing everything saved on the old DVR, making another service call to get the new DVR activated, setting up the new DVR to get all the channels and favorites keyed in, and waiting at least a day for the new DVR to finish finding all the channels on the satellite. When the 5th DVR failed I decided that I couldn't bear to go through it again and just sent it back.
	In all fairness, I don't know anyone else who has had that kind of trouble with DirecTV so maybe just disregard my story. But I will say that every time I called to complain about the poor quality of the DVR's they were supplying me with, their first response was to remind me that I was obligated by my contract which they wouldn't let me out of. The only thing they had to offer me was a whole bunch of channels I didn't want to watch. Grrr.
	Good luck
	Lynne

Lynne Rudié
Graphic Design