[Hidden-tech] Questions Re: Win 8.1 and Win XP...

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Thu Nov 7 18:47:45 EST 2013

At Thu, 7 Nov 2013 15:46:18 -0500 "David F. Farkas" <david at farkas.com> wrote:

>    ** Be sure to fill out the survey/skills inventory in the member's area.
>    ** If you did, we all thank you.
>

> Hi Mavens...
>
> Two OS issues have arisen simultaneously...
>

>    1. Win 8.1 is available. Any input on whether it's ready for prime time
>    and issues in upgrading?
>
>    2. Win XP is about to be abandoned by MS. No more bug fixes or virus
>    updates. You would think it was 'fixed' after 12 years. Just sayin'. But,
>    what are the issues in continuing to run XP? I have some old devices that
>    probably will not have drivers under Win 8.1. And, what are the hardware
>    requirements to run 8.1?

Is there some specific reason for the computers running XP to specificly run
XP? You could always install some flavor of Linux on them (say CentOS 5) --
Linux tends to support legacy hardware pretty much forever (or at least until
the hardware in question terminally bites the dust).  What kind of devices are
we talking about?

MS-Windows *any version* is never fixed (neither is Linux or MacOSX). With
Linux (and MacOSX under the hood), there are a lot more eyeballs looking, so
more of the bugs get found and fixed. Most of the bugs in MS-Windows are not
found until someone exploits the bug. This is the nature of closed source
code.

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933 / heller at deepsoft.com