[Hidden-tech] Personal 401k plans

Don Lesser dlesser at ptraining.com
Tue May 28 16:38:26 EDT 2013

Hi Andy. We use a SIMPLE IRA through Vanguard. Vanguard has pretty low rates
and its funds seem to rank well. They have twice closed a fund just as I was
about to invest in it, which is no doubt a coincidence, but is the only
thing about which I object to working with them. The equation of fees vs
return can get complicated though for a programmer or Excel user, it might
prove an interesting task. If you have a significant chunk of money to work
with, a fee-only planner might prove useful. We have done programming work
for Eva Thomson of Thomson Financial Management and she is one of the few
planners we're worked for in the past 20 years that has impressed me.

You could probably do a quick and dirty comparison of T. Rowe Price and
Vanguard in short order to see how they would stack up. My guess is that you
can shave some fees and get a higher return, but is it worth the time and
trouble if you're not interested in investing for its own sake?

Don Lesser
Pioneer Training, Inc.
139B Damon Road, Ste 8
Northampton, MA 01060