[Hidden-tech] fair refund policy feedback request

Val Nelson val at valnelson.com
Thu Jun 27 14:44:14 EDT 2013

Hi HT friends,

I wonder what you would consider standard practice for a freelancer in a
case like this.

Let's say you hire someone and pre-pay for a 20-hour package where time is
tracked and the fee is based on the hours. Then you find it's not working
as expected, despite giving it a try for at least 10 hours, trying to
adjust things to make it work. Would you expect they would give you a
refund of the unused 10 hours (when both agree on how much is unused)? Or
would you think it's fair for them to say that's too bad because it was a
pre-paid package.

To me, it seems like bad business not to refund the unused portion when a
customer is unhappy...  no matter how you package the payment plan, and
frankly no matter what agreement is in place. I would think keeping the
customer happy or ending on good terms is always the priority. I welcome
hearing opinions on both sides in case I'm missing something.

Thank you,
Val

_____________________________________
*Val Nelson*