[Hidden-tech] faxes on Comcast phone lines

Chris Hoogendyk hoogendyk at bio.umass.edu
Tue Jun 18 11:17:50 EDT 2013

FAX was specifically designed to work over analog phone lines.

I'm presuming you have converted your phone service at home and work to be Voice over IP with
Comcast cable internet. So your phone connection is going out over the internet in packets and then
getting reconstructed at the other end to a voice connection. It's just going to be really flaky
trying to run FAX over that. If you really really need FAX, then see if you can set it up with an
analog line. There may be some more expensive gateways that will facilitate running FAX on Voice
over IP, but I would just be googling to answer that. Someone else might have actual experience and
cost comparisons.

Alternatively, just scan to pdf and email that instead of using FAX. Of course, the other party has
to go along with that solution, but that's basically where everything is going. I even submit
receipts to my health care spending account that way.

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-
    O__  ---- Systems Administrator