[Hidden-tech] Can anyone figure out this WordPress issue?

Shel Horowitz, Ethical/Green Marketing Expert shel at principledprofit.com
Wed Aug 7 10:29:20 EDT 2013

One of my sites, shelhorowitz.com, won't let me update. It tells me

"Unable to create directory uploads/[year/month]. Is its parent
directory writable by the server?"

I spent an hour in live chat with my web host (HostGator) this
morning, and they were unable to figure out the problem. they say

At 8:15 AM -0500 8/7/13, chat-transcript at hostgator.com wrote:
>  Its giving a Not Writable By Group error, however all of your
>permissions are correct on that server.

It was never a problem to update it while it was hosted at HTTPme. I
am not sure I have updated since switching to HostGator (about a year
ago) before encountering this problem. I am not having this problem
with my other sites, though I did have a problem of one of my sites
wiping out all its plugins.

I saved the full chat transcript, and would be happy to send it along
to anyone who has an ideas of what's going on.

Shel Horowitz
Marketing consultant/copywriter, author, speaker, book shepherd
Affordable, ethical, effective marketing materials and strategies
"Reach Green, socially conscious consumers with
marketing that has THEM calling YOU"

Twitter: @shelhorowitz

* First business ever to be Green America Gold Certified
* Inducted into the National Environmental Hall of Fame

http://greenandprofitable.com/ http://guerrillamarketinggoesgreen.com
mailto:shel at greenandprofitable.com * 413-586-2388
Award-winning author of eight books. Latest:
Guerrilla Marketing Goes Green (co-authored with Jay Conrad Levinson)
Blog on Green Marketing/Ethics/Politics:
http://greenandprofitable.com/shels-blog/