[Hidden-tech] Disclaimers on sites

Marcia Yudkin yudkinyudkin at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 2 14:58:32 EDT 2013

Tish Grier wrote:

>>For instance, if a blogger runs particular kinds of affiliate programs, the blogger could say that he/she does not endorse the products and is only advertising them.  <<

Forgive me, but what business does a blogger have joining an affiliate program and promoting a product that he or she does not believe in and is not willing to "endorse"?

>>Disclaimers are also important if a blogger is writing a post about a product and has never used the product.  Then, the blogger has to state that what they are writing is a "sponsored blog post."  This is another FTC reg.  <<

A blogger cannot imply that he/she has used a product when they haven't, regardless of whether or not a post is labeled as "sponsored."  That would be flat-out lying and counts as deceptive advertising.

Marcia Yudkin
Copywriting mentor/author/consultant
www.yudkin.com