[Hidden-tech] Square Space

Tim Boudreau niftiness at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 19:15:17 EDT 2013

I tend to be the soup-to-nuts do-it-yourself type, but a non-technical
friend of mine has done a number of commercial sites using Squarespace for
her marketing consuting customers - http://gistbranding.com/ - the ease of
use is pretty spectacular and the results are impressive.

Open source is well and good - I've been involved in the open source
movement since the 90s.  But unless you're planning on hosting stuff
yourself, it's neither here nor there (and if you really wanted to grab a
site developed on Squarespace and move it somewhere else, it's not hard).

In the particular case of WordPress, I wouldn't touch anything built in PHP
with a ten-foot-pole, no matter how popular it is.  If you need a
sculpture, and you see that over here there's this community of thousands
of people making gorgeous sculptures out of dung, well, if you plan to live
with it for a long time, there might be more considerations than just the
aesthetics of the sculpture.  Some amusing reading on that topic:
http://me.veekun.com/blog/2012/04/09/php-a-fractal-of-bad-design/

-Tim

--
http://timboudreau.com