[Hidden-tech] Permanent redirect okay?

Gyepi SAM gyepi at praxis-sw.com
Mon Sep 17 17:15:28 EDT 2012

Hi Claudia,

The short answer is that a redirect will not harm your seo, at
least with Google, according to their docs. One issue you may need
to deal with: for permanent redirects, the source and target urls need
to match whereas urls for temporary redirects don't. If your source domain
has a markedly different url structure, then temporary redirects would make
more sense.

Other than that, Google's crawlers handle both kinds of redirects similarly.
Only the redirect target domain will appear in search results.

However, if you wanted both domains to appear in search results then
I would recommend hosting both domains on the same server
and serving the same content. Which may or may not have implications
from a branding perspective, but that's not a technical issue ;)

Regards

-Gyepi