[Hidden-tech] Reminder: Event 12-4-12: Tactical Urbanism, Popup Parks, City Repair

Lisa Hoag 1world4all at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 16:49:25 EST 2012

Calling All Designers,

What: Tactical Urbanism, Popup Parks, City Repair: Presentations and a
brainstorming session:
When: Tuesday, December 4th, 2012, 6:30 PM
Where: The Municipal Building, Easthampton
50 Payson Ave., Easthampton, MA

To RSVP, and for more details, see the full listing:
http://www.meetup.com/Design-Venturers-Western-Mass/events/89688102/

We will have two presentations on "Tactical Urbanism", by Easthampton
City Planner Jessica Allen, and Lisa DePiano; permacultural designer,
and Mobile Design Lab instructor (http://mobiledesignlab.org). We will
have a brainstorming session afterward around the possibility of
creating a tactical urbanism project in Easthampton.

I am just starting to learn about tactical urbanism. Researching on
line I found this definition (quoted from
http://www.dreamhamar.org/2011/09/about-tactical-urbanism/):

“Tactical urbanism uses the city as a site of experimentation,
deploying pop-up parks, vacant retail reuse, or unsanctioned street
furniture as way to reprogram the urban realm. The practice
traditionally takes an activist position in relationship to
environmental, political, cultural and economic factors. However, as
the practice is increasingly being absorbed into mainstream thinking
on cities, it is critical that we look closely at both the underlying
assumptions and resulting effects.”

~Mimi Zieger

We'd love to see you there!

Best,