[Hidden-tech] Reminder: Event 5-24 DVWM hosts "Focus on Graphic Design"

Lisa Hoag 1world4all at gmail.com
Tue May 22 19:16:27 EDT 2012

Design Venturers Western Mass (DVWM will be hosting "Focus on Graphic
Design: Where Art and Life Meet":
Thursday, May 24th, from 6:30 - 8:30pm at the MRW offices in
Eastworks. You can RSVP, and find directions, and more info at this
link:
http://www.meetup.com/Design-Venturers-Western-Mass/events/62461182/

We will be focusing on the needs of Graphic Designers. What current
trends in design do you find exciting and important? What are the
challenges that face you as a designer currently? Do you employ color
trends? The meat of design is line, scale, rhythm, color, adept use of
negative space. What is your approach and philosophy? What makes your
design feel powerful to you?

Adobe Creative Suite: the questions abound. Do we need a local users
group for Adobe CS? How has Adobe Creative Suite affected our creative
flow as professionals. How does it enhance our workflow? Does it
hinder work flow in some ways? Are all aspects of this suite
advantageous. What other ways of designing could be considered?

One new member suggested that we hold a meetup on designing
non-digitally. I think this is an excellent topic for discussion. I
think we will add it to the mix for this event, and follow up on it in
a future meetup. Has design become more or less exciting since the
advent of computer based graphic design programs? When we look back at
poster and graphic art from the past, from the Bauhaus era, from the
Art Deco era, from the Sixties, etc., how does the quality of the work
compare to the current level of computer aided design?

Bring your questions, queries, interests and challenges to the table.
Bring two samples of your design work.
I will be giving a short summary of my trip to New York City of three
cutting edge design trade shows (ICFF, Surtex, ans the Stationary
Show), where I saw many exquisite examples of innovative design at
it's best.

Cheers,

Lisa

--