[Hidden-tech] question about blogs

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Mon Jun 11 12:33:04 EDT 2012

At Mon, 11 Jun 2012 09:49:26 -0400 Robin MacRostie <rmacrostie at gmail.com> wrote:

>    ** Be sure to fill out the survey/skills inventory in the member's area.
>    ** If you did, we all thank you.
>

> I know I'm probably the only person in the world without a blog.  Always
> been to busy to read or write one.
>
> Now I'm in  a writing group that will stop meeting together in person.  If
> we want  to stay together online, how would we put together a blog?  When
> we meet in person, we all write a short piece to the same prompt.  Then we
> all comment on each writing response to  the prompt.
>
> I don't think separate blogs would be good unless there was a way to  link
> them together on one blog.   IN other words, what I would like is this:
>  - a weekly blog page with the  prompt and a link to each person's writing
> response to the prompt as page
> AND a place on THAT page for feedback [ comments].
>
> The architecture would be like this:
>
> WRITER'S BLOG
>           prompt for the week
>           writer 1
>                    comments
>           writer 2
>                    comments
>
>           writer 3
>                    comments
>
>           writer etc.
>                    comments
>

> Are there some free blog sites that can handle that?    How?

WordPress can (eg wordpress.com).  WordPress supports multiple users
at different priviledge levels (eg from subscriber (can't do much),
contributer, author, editor, to adminstrator (can do everything)). And
nothing prevents you from having multiple adminstrators, although I
would recomend against that (reduces possible confussion with extra
menus and stuff on the Dashboard, partitularly if some members of your
writing group are not especially computer savy).

You could set it up so that you would have a page (or post) with the
weekly prompt piece, and then each writer would create a post with
their piece and then people (site visitors and/or other writers) could
then comment on each piece post.  You could create a 'category' for
each writer, as well as other categories (eg ones that relate to the
subject(s) mentioned in the weekly prompt).  WordPress already
organizes posts by date (year, month, day).

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933 / heller at deepsoft.com