[Hidden-tech] certificate of insurance question

Don Lesser dlesser at ptraining.com
Thu Jan 5 07:43:04 EST 2012

There are two policies--the General Liability and the Workman's Comp. Every
independent contractor is supposed to have Workman's Comp insurance but I
have yet to meet one who does (it is the equivalent, I think, of paying
Workman's Comp as part of paycheck). As a company, we have both at a cost
of around 1000 a year each (I am not at work and can't check the exact
figures.) Getting a lot of contracts is contingent on our having them--the
colleges and some large employers in the area needed the General Liability
(for $1,000,000) before they would sign a contract with us. I believe it
covers you for things like getting hurt at their locations, etc. It is not
liability insurance for bad programming or getting sued for some
professional negligence. That insurance is something a lot of contractors
talk about needing, but I have never heard of one actually getting it or
getting sued.

I have worked with Blair, Cutting, Smith in Amherst (now Encharter) for
years and years and they are always responsive. Definitely talk to an
insurance person about it. I could be wrong on some of the details, so you
want to find an expert.