[Hidden-tech] certificate of insurance question

Herb Singleton info at cross-spectrum.com
Wed Jan 4 17:22:23 EST 2012

If you are a MA-based sole-proprietor with no employees, you are not required to carry Worker's Comp and you can inform your client of that.

As for General Liability insurance, sometimes it comes up for projects (I work on a lot of state & Federal government projects where it's almost always required). Depending on the nature of your work and your duties, you can try asking your client to waive the requirement. If they refuse to waive the requirement, it comes down to you either turning down the job or acquiring a General Liability insurance policy.

Gen Liability policies aren't that expensive (and you can deduct the expense), I pay about $500 per year for $1million/$2million coverage.  You can search around for an agent, but whomever handles your car and/or home insurance may also offer biz liability policies. My Gen Liability policy underwritten by The Hartford and my agent is Bolt Insurance in Farmington CT (1-800-216-4171 <http://www.boltinsurance.com.).  I set the policy up through the phone in about 10 minutes.  My car insurance agent, Bates Fullam in West Springfield, also offers liability policies.

Depending on the size of this job, it might be worth getting it. Keep in mind that your contract may require that you carry the policy for some number of years after the project is completed,. Once you have the policy, you ask the agent to issue a certificate that you can give to the client. And hopefully, you'll never need to file a claim!

Herb
--
    Herb Singleton, PE
    hsingleton at cross-spectrum.com
    Cross-Spectrum Labs: Sound & Vibration Consulting
    http://www.cross-spectrum.com

--
    Herb Singleton, PE
    hsingleton at cross-spectrum.com