[Hidden-tech] Wanted: Freelance Wordpress developer

Laura MacKay laura at lauramackay.com
Thu Feb 2 15:15:31 EST 2012

Request for proposals: Wordpress website

Laura MacKay
www.copywriter-editor.com

This RFP can be found as a PDF here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/32678325/website%20RFP.pdf

Overview: SEO and sophistication needed

My current site consists of 12 or 15 pages (?) written in basic html by me in 2008. I have two problems with it: One, it’s hard to find. As I understand it, the coding is so rudimentary that search engines have a hard time seeing it. I need a site that is compatible with SEO. Two, although the site does bring me work, it is a bit homespun. I want a cleaner, more modern-looking site that will appeal to the design-oriented marketing firms that are my key clients.

At the same time, this will not be an especially design-oriented site. I’m a writer, so it’s about the copy. I need a straightforward design that puts the copy front and center with highly readable fonts. Probably something very similar to what I already have—but fresher, cleaner, and technically up-to-date.

New site: approx. 20–page website with blog

• Wordpress? People are telling me it’s the way to go, but I’ll listen to arguments for other platforms.
• Look: Professional, up-to-date, and design savvy, but not slick.
• Feel: Calm, solid, classy. Limited color palette with plenty of white space.
• Home page: Envisioned as a simple stock photo with text over it. Like this: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/32678325/home%20page%20mockup.tiff
• Size: Approx. 19 subpages pretty much identical to each other in design/layout, with top main nav and side secondary nav (layout open to discussion). There’s not much 	more material than on the old site, but it will be distributed over more pages to make things cleaner, better organized, and better targeted to my different audiences.
• Blog with index: Corresponds to Classroom on current site.
• Portfolio: I need to present it better.
• The new copy is virtually done. Here it is: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/32678325/New%20web%20copy.pdf. This is what you will need to design around.

Budget: moderate
I’m a freelancer whose business is just taking off. Naturally, I have little money. I need to keep the frills to a minimum while getting the job done.

Proposed site map:

Services
•	Intro page [default]
•	Copywriting
•	Business editing
•	Manuscript editing
•	Workshops for writers
Portfolio
•	Clients [default page]
•	Copy for print
•	Copy for the web
•	Editing
•	Journalism
•	Personal
•	Resume
Kudos
•	Copywriting [default]
•	Editing
•	Workshops
Classroom
Bio
Links
Contact
Follow
	[Invitation and link to a new Facebook biz page, Twitter]

Please feel free to contact me by phone or email.

Thank you!

Laura MacKay
copywriter & editor
http://www.lauramackay.com/