[Hidden-tech] what uses electricity when plugged in?

Matt Kostek mekostek at charter.net
Wed Sep 28 10:37:41 EDT 2011

I have received a few questions about what a UPS is, I will go over it
real quick.

An UPS or Uninterrupted  Power Supply is pretty much a surge protector
with a battery backup, so let's say you leave your system on all of the
time and the power goes out, most UPS Systems have software you can
install which will shut down your computer properly, so your system is
less likely to suffer from a power surge. Also the battery doubles as a
low-grade power conditioner which means your equipment receives proper
voltage from the battery, and the battery is recharged by the outlet.
Also in case of a nasty enough power surge, it will fry the battery not
your equipment, a bad enough surge will fry the equipment as well, but
it takes a lot more than it would take to outdo a surge protector on its
own. Also UPS systems "claim" they save electricity, but I have been
unable to verify that.

-Matt