[Hidden-tech] Job Posting: CHOICES After-School Program in Holyoke

Jeff Mackler jeff at rubberneck.net
Fri Sep 16 12:02:25 EDT 2011

Hey Techies,
This is a posting from an after-school program in Holyoke that I'm involved with.  We're looking for after-school program instructors.  Topics could certainly include tech subjects (we've done programming classes, robotics, and hardware courses in past years), or really anything that might be fun and educational for middle school youth.  Your academic credentials are far less important than an enthusiasm and personality for working with middle school youth in a casual environment.  Please spread the word as the program starts soon.

Thanks,
Jeff

JOB POSTING - CHOICES
Instructors for program's first session (September 28th to January 30th, Monday/Wednesdays)
Position posting:  Mini-course instructor for after-school enrichment program (CHOICES).
Examples of mini-courses that we would like to have:
     · Robotics
     · Outdoor adventure
     · Media
     - Sports for boys
     · or other creative ideas
Projected program duration:
First session: Starts on the last week of September until the last week of January 2012

Salary:  $15 to $25 per hour
Hours: 2 days a week from (M/W or Tu/Th) 4:00 to 6:00

Program Structure:

CHOICES is an after-school program supported by Holyoke Community
College and implemented at Peck School in Holyoke. The program targets
at-risk youth who are highly committed to self-development by engaging
in enriching activities.

· The CHOICES after-school program will run from 3:00 to 5:50pm.
     From 3:00 to 4:30 pm is a snack period as well as time for homework assistance.
· The overall program will operate four days per week (Monday-Thursday).
     However, because mini-courses will be offered two afternoons per week (either Monday & Wednesday or Tuesday andThursday),
     your program proposals should be based on a two-day per week model.
· We project between 10 and 15 students in each mini-course.
· One high school or one college age tutor will be available to assist you during mini-course time.
Program Priorities:  We are interested in hiring instructors who
provide mini-courses that address one or more of the following
priorities:

· The mini-course includes highly engaging and enriching
activities for middle school age students that provide experiential
learning activities and promote the use of technology when possible.
· The mini-course focuses on an area of high interest for urban
middle school students.
· The mini-course is culturally relevant to Holyoke middle
school students (that is, students are able to explore and affirm
their own cultural identities through participating in this program).
· The mini-course includes an artistic component (visual arts,
theater, etc.).
· The mini-course supports student fitness and wellness.
· The mini-course attracts and retains students in need of
support in their academic and/or personal lives (including, ideally, a
mix of boys and girls).
· All mini-courses conclude with final, culminating product or
activity (it is up to the instructor to determine the nature of this
final product).
**Note:  we do not expect that any single program could address all of
the above priorities; rather, we are looking for a mix of programs
that, in combination, address these priorities.

Program Requirements:

· Participation in the CORI background check is mandatory.
· A brief, written description of instructor’s course to be
included in any recruitment brochures and registration applications.
· CPR and First Aid training preferred. Provided by employer if
needed.
· Complete any student and self-performance evaluation that is
necessary.
*       Attendance to monthly meetings

Included in your Proposal:

Ø Describe the mini-course you propose to offer to Peck students
as part of the CHOICES After-School program.

Ø Do you have specific scheduling needs for your mini-course
(i.e., would you need to do either Monday-Wednesday or Tuesday-
Thursday, or are you available for either)?

Ø Describe any needed resources (i.e. specific rooms or space,
materials, field trips, etc.).

Ø Which of the program priorities will your mini-course address,
and how will it address each of the priorities you identify?

Ø What do you envision for your course’s final, culminating
product and/or activity?

If you have questions about this program and/or need help in putting
together your proposal, please contact the following:

§ Melany Mendoza, HCC After-School Programs Director (552-2471
or cell 413.218.6595)

Deadline for Resume and Proposal submissions:  Open until positions are
filled

Mail or email proposals to:

Melany Mendoza, HCC After-School Programs Director
303 Homestead Avenue
Holyoke, MA 01040
Email:  mmendoza at hcc.mass.edu

--
Melany Mendoza
Director of After-School Programs

Jeff Mackler
Rubberneck.Net / MRW Connected / Your Olive Branch
116 Pleasant Street, Suite 328
Easthampton, MA 01027
t: 413.282.8882