[Hidden-tech] Ongoing problems with email being tagged as spam

Rich Roth rich at on-the-net.com
Mon Oct 31 15:06:09 EDT 2011

There is a missing piece of this issue:
       how is the outgoing mail being sent ?

The web site has nothing to do with email being marked as spam and neither does the
hosting company,
if the email is not going out via the smtp at the hosting company.

It's the outgoing smtp server used by the senders of email that cause the issue,
and the nature of the content -- using collected lists can be a very bad idea.

It might be useful to give us both the IP being blocked and the web site in question,
you should also look to find exactly what service is black-listing the IP
Barracuda devices (like all other spam services) can share many (RBL) black-listing providers
although they also have their own at: http://www.barracudacentral.org/rbl

You mention constant contact -- they go to great lengths to keep their mailings and
servers from becoming spam marked

Also if you are using an ISP that has virtual machines, and the email is going out via
those, then be aware that those use floating IPs
internally and routinely get marked as spam - just like an IP owned by cable company --
there are special measures that need
to be taking to send email from Amazon cloud servers for example.

In short, it looks like you are looking in the wrong place - track the path of the
outgoing email, not the websites.

We run servers that send 100K or so emails a day and it takes serious work to keep them
from being blocked,
this is usually handled by using a service like constant contact -- so I think something
else is happening.

Rich