[Hidden-tech] Ongoing problems with email being tagged as spam

Bruce Hooke bghooke at att.net
Mon Oct 31 12:54:12 EDT 2011

Hello,

I maintain the website for a non-profit watershed group and they have been
having repeated problems with their email getting tagged as spam by systems
such as Barracuda. This causes a lot of headaches for both them and me. The
site is hosted on Arvixe, a major hosting company with the usual server farm
with lots of websites on it. However, while I have multiple websites hosted
with Arivxe this one is the only one that regular seems to run into this
problem. Meanwhile, when I check Barracuda it appears that the IP address
(which presumably covers multiple websites) is what is getting blocked, not
the domain name. So, I am trying to sort out:

1. Does this issue originate with something the non-profit in question is
doing (they do use Constant Contact but so do other groups I work with) or
is this a problem with the server the site is hosted on.

2. If it is something they are doing, how do we figure out what?

2. If it is a problem with the server, what do we need to do to stop this
from happening:

	a. Would getting our own IP address help?
	b. Or would paying for our own server help?
	c. Or do we need to go with a more local, hands-on host. When I
priced this out I was getting prices that were on the order of 15 or more
times higher than what we are paying now, which for a small non-profit is a
real budget issue.

I already tried moving them to a new hosting company (previously they were
with another big hosting company) and that did not fix the problem.

I can work with Arvixe to get the immediate issue fixed but I don't really
trust them when it comes to being up-front about the origins of the problem
since they do not seem to be likely to say "yes, it is a problem with other
websites on our server" or something similar.

Thanks!
Bruce Hooke