[Hidden-tech] who owns a website?

B. Melville bobbimelville at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 23:16:52 EDT 2011

Other points:

Check the whois (Network Solutions) for the legal registrant of the
domain name. Designers will often list themselves as the registrant
rather than the person or company for whom they made the website. If
the designer gets crabby, he or she might not allow you to change the
registrant. Although this is slightly different from ownership of the
graphic design and the code, it can certainly muddy the waters.

We also had a situation where we were stuck because the original
registrant (a designer) had gone out of business and disappeared,
leaving us with no way to change the registration.

A website is considered to be an asset of a business, and can be sold
or not sold. We just sold a business, and the website (separate from
the domain names) was listed as an asset to be transferred to the new
owner.

If you are changing designers, I assume that you are changing the
look and some of the coding functionality of the site. If you are the
registrant of the domain name, you can start a new site using that
name. If you wrote the content copy (the text) on the site, you can
also take that to the new site. You should check with a lawyer before
re-using the graphic look of a site (although a new designer would
likely be re-designing the look anyway). If the site was built on an
open source template, you might have no problem. If it was designed
from the ground up, though, check with a lawyer. Same goes for the
coding of the site.

So essentially there are 4 parts to a website, each of which could
conceivably be owned by a different person or business - the domain
name, the text content, the graphic design, and the coding.