[Hidden-tech] elaborate money laundering scheme or legit cross-cultural vacation?

Tom Adams ~ Reelife Productions & Folktography tomadams at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 09:58:04 EST 2011

Hello all you tech savvy independent business owners, here's a good one for
you:

I've been in an email correspondence with a "prospective client" who
'supposedly' is coming to the US on vacation with his fellow
off-shore-Iraq-oil-rig workers...but wait it gets better..

I hate to be so skeptical and would love for this to be a legitimate
mini-documentary of a tigh-knit co-workers vacation... and crazy to think
that people go through such a bother to do these scams (this is about the
4th email I've had with him) BUT I don''t want to go any further down this
path if it's a scam... let me know what you think and any suggestions you
might have. I've already responded by saying I can only accept the $ that
is due to me and can't act as a go-between with the translator..... ugh,
never a dull moment over here at Reelife World hdqrters :)  and please, if
this is all too much just hit delete :)

here's the latest email (edited with :"X's"):

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks for your reply and assistance so far in booking the Videography
services for us, I am glad to tell you that we have concluded all payments
arrangements and will be making a deposit payment of $X as a part payment
for your services to secure the bookings.  I'm also making all necessary
arrangements to ensure that all members involved enjoy and have a stress
free vacation as some members are Asians and might have problem with
language. So i have been in contact with a linguistics firm in South Korea
whom will provide us with language translator through out our stay.

As soon as i get the response of this email from you, i will send over the
credit card details for the payment. When making the charges, you have to
make the total charges for your deposit as stated above and that of the
translator. When discussing the payment arrangements with my group we
concluded that only your studio will handle the credit card details and the
translator does not have credit card facilities to even make the charges as
he is a private Asian firm. I would have loved to make a bank transfer to
them but as you know we don't have such facilities here as we are presently
still at work (offshore work in Iraq -oil rig-). This will help most as i
wouldn't want two parties to handle the details for some reasons, please
confirm that only you will have access to the credit cards when sent.

Once you receive the credit card details, you will have to process $X plus
the credit card processing fees for deposit of your services and that of
the translator. Once the full amount has been cleared and deposited into
your business account, you are required to keep the total amount of $X for
deposit of your services, then i will request for a business bank account
from the linguistics firm where you will transfer the balance of $X for
them to secure the bookings for the translators.

Once all arrangements are concluded and payments received, I will be in
further contact with more details in regards to the logistics activities
when we are in your country, flight bookings, time and other needed
details. moreover I will need you to send us your following information for
records:

(1) YOUR FULL NAME:
(2) ADDRESS:
(3) PREFERRED PHONE NO:

Note that all taxes that will be attracted in this transaction will be
payed by us, I requires prompt response and expect an expert service during
our stay.

Kind Regards,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
--