[Hidden-tech] How to get news in a power outage

Marcia Yudkin yudkinyudkin at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 1 08:21:00 EDT 2011

We got our power back in Goshen last night after 48 hours out.  Our landline was out as well.  All we had for getting news about when we might get power back were my smartphone and a good battery-powered radio.

The radio was not as useful as I expected, however, because none of the stations I knew of had good, specific, timely information.  WFCR, which is what I usually listen to, was practically useless.  While memories are fresh, did anyone get specific outage-related information from any local radio station?

On my smartphone, I can go to the web but since this eats up the cell phone battery much faster than just checking email, I don't want to waste time going to sites that aren't mobile-friendly or don't have updated info.  Yesterday, Monday, Gazettenet.com had only a storm-related article from Sunday, which obviously wasn't current.  Did anyone have a better source of mobile-friendly local updates on the web?

Thanks for your advice - I will file it away (off my computer) for next time.

Marcia Yudkin
Goshen