[Hidden-tech] AT&T Mobile Hotspot

Rich rich at on-the-net.com
Mon May 30 15:58:59 EDT 2011

Your PS just shows that this is about the US telcoms willingness to provide service -- not
the population density.

I have personally watched my son use a normal (US) cel phone to send his sister a photo of
the
camels we rode to a camp on -- from the Western Sahara (sand dunes in Morocco about 20 KM
from the Algerian border),
A picture like the 6th one down at
http://www.profsharon.net/itinerary/toto-were-not-in-spain-anymore/

he has also called us at home from the Great wall of China.

This is not about technology but the companies and gov't support for rural areas.

Rich

On 5/29/2011 10:02 PM, ussailis at shaysnet.com wrote:
> That's a problem in such a largely unpopulated country. We can't compare
> here to Europe, which in many of the more prosperous regions, has a much
> higher population density.
>
> The problem is simple: we either use WiFi (or some variant) or the cell
> phone network. In the cases of WiFi we are limited to a one watt
> transmission (actually most WiFi card set-ups are around 0.1 watt, a rare
> few provide 0.2 watts). One doesn't expect the range of a 0.2 watt
> transmitter to be all that far. We can make up for this by having many "hot
> spots," but that requires "users."
>
> The cell phone frequencies are owned by the cell companies. They have a
> vested interest in expending infrastructure money where revenue can be
> gained. This is usually not in the middle of the desert, or some of the
> hills of W. MA.
>
> So it's a satellite, or tethered to a phone line, as my son is in Ashfield
> near Hawley.
>

> Jim Ussailis
>
> PS If you want a laugh, look up Greenvale, Nova Scotia. I have the old
> family farm right where Google maps says Greenvale is. Population = 0
> humans. Many deer, some bear, fish, etc. Even a fisher was spotted there.
> And I get fine cell service! Of course the TransCanada Hwy isn't all that
> far away.

Rich Roth
CEO On-the-net

Bringing you complex online systems since the net was young
http://www.tnrglobal.com - Blog: http://www.rizbang.com
Helping move the world:  http://www.earththrives.com