[Hidden-tech] AT&T Mobile Hotspot MiFi® 2372 - Wifi on Amtak

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sat May 28 10:26:36 EDT 2011

At Sat, 28 May 2011 10:10:35 -0400 Rich Roth <webmaster at hidden-tech.net> wrote:

> These questions are actually about getting wifi on Amtak to NYC - which is probably the
> Vermonter
>
> We just took that to DC and back and found (to our annoyance) there is a network
> AmtrakConnect
> both ways -- the issue is it requires a password (not just a browser screen) and I can
> find no info about how to get one
> except on the Acela - which this is not.

I expect that this is not an 'official' public access service, but
might be for the use of the staff (conductors, since the Vermonter is
one train where many people buy their tickets on board).

There are 'rumors' (fairly reliable ones) that there will be public
wireless access on the Vermonter at some point in the near future.
Amtrak is in the process of upgrading its passenger fleet to include
WiFi, but I believe it is not some mass thing, just as cars go though
their regular maintenance cycle, the WiFi router is added in.  It is
uncertain as to whether the WiFi access will be free or will be an
added cost feature (pay as you go or something).

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933 / heller at deepsoft.com