[Hidden-tech] Recommendation needed for contract review

Videatives videatives at aol.com
Thu Mar 31 14:32:56 EDT 2011

Dear HT'ers,

Videatives, Inc, a start-up company, might partner with a large video
streaming company, Kanopy Streaming, with a home base in Perth,
Australia.  They would like to put about 100 of our high resolution
video files on their server as part of their 2,000 + video library.
The would pay us a 55% royalty for any customer who paid an annual
subscription to view our clips from the Kanopy Streaming service, not
from the Videatives Streaming Service.  This is a non-exclusive
license.  They have sent us a 12 page (pdf file) contract.  I
understand most of it, but I am not confident that I can predict
unintended consequences.  Can someone recommend an attorney who can be
gentle on fees, yet knows how to look for weaknesses in such contracts
regarding such matters as two way indemnification, performance clause,
net sales figures, escape clause, etc.  It could be that this contract
is boiler plate.  It reads quite similar to one an author signs with a
publisher, but in this case, the content is not owned by the
"publisher"  Kanopy Streaming.  Videatives still owns the files and
will continue to sell them directly to customers and to other
distributors.   Thanks,

George Forman, President
Videatives, Inc.
19 The Hollow