[Hidden-tech] Job Opening - Automation and Support Tools Engineer

Tamar Schanfeld tamar at tnrglobal.com
Mon Mar 21 13:24:52 EDT 2011

TNR Global, a small, stable technology company in Western Mass with
international reach is seeking a Support Tools Engineer with Strong
System Administration skills to join our talented team. We develop and
maintain web based architectures for very large web sites. We work on
a wide range of systems using many back-end technologies, and believe
in using flexibility and creativity to solve the precise and exacting
requirements of complex online systems.

The position is largely telecommuting, but periodic face-to-face
meetings are required. Prefer candidates within a 2 hour drive of
01035 zip code, (Hadley, MA)
Please make sure you read the instructions on how to apply at the
bottom of this posting.

Responsibilities:
- Automation of existing tools
   - internal CMS, Web GUI, Wiki, ticketing system, document management system
   - configuration and plugin script maintenance, creation and publishing.
- Development of new tools
     including, but not limited to cloud tools, tools to manage Amazon
web services,
     OpenVZ and other virtualization technologies, search systems
including SOLR/Lucene.
- Day-to-day management of the company's and clients' Linux server
networks generally under oversight of a senior administrator:
   - Updating systems, installing new OSes, installing applications,
reconfiguring the network, managing accounts, managing email,
monitoring news groups for security alerts and general System Admin
responsibilities.

Experience Required:
-- Extensive Linux bash and web experience
-- PHP, Perl, Python, JS and shell scripting required (no less then 3
of the listed languages, more is better)
-- 5 years real world experience
-- Benchmarking, best practices experience
-- Redhat, Centos, debian, Linux installation and administration experience
-- Cloud/Virtualization experience- especially OpenVZ, AWS and Xen
-- High Availability technology
-- Operating in a telecommuting environment with ability to be
flexible with task
assignments and scheduling.

Required Technical Skills:
-- Tools/UI development
-- Scripting (in above languages)
   * Stream based scripting
   * Web & System tools development
   * Webapp development
-- LAMP deployment and administration

Familiarity with: (any level of experience)
Search engine technologies: Lucene/Solr, or any proprietary search system (s)
AWS: EC2, RDS, ELB, SNS
Tools: bash, ssh, vi (or) jove/emacs/jed, eclipse
Source Installation Tools: configure, make, perl make, cpan, pear, ant
Basic web page coding: HTML or advanced levels: css, Ajax, html5
Archive Updating Tools: rpm, apt-get, up2date
Database: mysql, non-SQL/dbm
Revision control systems: RCS, subversion, git
Email MTA: Postfix, sendmail, qmail
Web application engines: tomcat, jboss, websphere, BEA
Apache web server and other Apache group projects

Non-technical Requirements:
-- Technical writing and documentation: project level writing
(generally not end user)
-- Previous experience working primarily remotely/telecommuting
     - ability to work with minimum face to face supervision
     - ability to take vague project descriptions and create detailed
project specification.
-- Excellent problem solving skills
-- Excellent communications skills in both verbal and written English
-- Attention to detail, organizational skills, documentation skills
-- Proven ability to successfully manage own projects from start to
finish, and collaborate in managing shared projects.

Examples of completed project life-cycle tasks will be expected
including requirements gathering, designing a project specification,
implementation, testing, documentation and deployment.

You are expected to have your own computer and high speed internet
connection. You will work with our team of Internet experts in many
locations, using a number of online tools to coordinate your projects.
The work is largely telecommuting but periodic face-to-face meeting
are required, especially at the start of projects and at critical
developmentmilestones. Working hours are flexible within the
requirements of coordinating with other team members.

Email resumes as simple text email or as web URLs of your resume to
jobs at tnrglobal.com. Please do not email word processing documents.
(This is for conversion and virus reasons).Be sure to include contact
phone number and any calling limitations.

In the body of your email, answer these questions:

"On RedHat 5.3 system, you start Postfix. It won't start. Name the
first 3 items you would check to determine the issue."

"Describe how would you automate monitoring and restarting of a web
application server."

Please do not call, we will email or call you if we are interested in
scheduling an interview.