[Hidden-tech] Recording song birds

Tom Kopec tek at acm.org
Tue Jun 28 19:53:46 EDT 2011

If your ambient noise level is fairly low, then just record them. I
don't know how the Mac does it, but you oughta be able to plug a
microphone in and just record it (a la media recorder in windows).

Be aware, the codecs used in MP3, AAC, etc might not behave well with
bird songs; they are designed to deal with 'music' .. so you might just
want to record in raw .wav to preserve what you hear.

If your ambient noise level isn't low, then things get tricky, but I'd
say just record some and see what it sounds like. If you get really INTO
recording bird calls, you'll need to get into the realm of microphone
characteristics, but for now I'd just take a shot and see what it sounds
like.

I'm sure someone here can give a quick blurb on recording from a mic in OSX.

...tom