[Hidden-tech] Video hosting services

Cheryl Handsaker charlemontwebworks at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 28 09:44:47 EDT 2011

Hello Hidden-Tech,

I've been doing some research into video players and hosting services and thought it might be an appropriate next step to tap into the collective knowledge of Hidden-Tech for some advice.

Do any of you have advice as to video players and hosting services that might meet the following criteria:

Required:
1. Easy to upload  video & use the player
2. Support video formats suitable for playing on a computer as well as an iPad and iPhone
3. Do not display advertising on the player or promote other videos.
4. Free from storage or bandwidth limits

Would be very  nice:
5. Have controls on the player that can be customized

Would be nice:
6. Free

We are currently using Blip.tv which is meeting these needs pretty well but it's been a little tough to keep up with changes in the video formats and embed codes. It's also been a while since we've evaluated the range of options. If you've used a service that did not live up to its promises, that would be interesting as well.

Advice is much appreciated.

-Cheryl

  Charlemont Web Works
  Web Application Development, Web Maintenance, Drupal and Joomla! CMS sites