[Hidden-tech] Health New England Feedback?

ussailis at shaysnet.com ussailis at shaysnet.com
Sat Jul 9 09:58:14 EDT 2011

The biggest issue in going without insurance isn't so much as 'risk,' but
it is the amount the ins co gets away with for payment, compared to what an
uninsured individual pays.

Here are two examples:

Once I had a high deductible policy thru a trade group. The doc wanted me
to get two groups of blood tests which were less than the deductible.

1. Cooley-Dick wanted about $400 for the tests. Then I asked what was in
each group. Found out that about half of them were covered in both groups,
so I was paying for results to be slid across a piece of paper. From that
conversation I also found out that BCBS paid considerably less than what
the hospital would charge me, even though I offered cash.

2. A few years ago I started Medicare Advantage with BCBS. The periodontist
found a 'thing' in my mouth that he sent out for a cancer screen. BCBS
refused payment because the periodontist was in Greenfield, out of my
'area.'

They wanted me to go to Hadley as the distance was much less. After a long
discussion to someone in Quincy, about the bridge under construction and
the time difference driving up 91, they agreed to pay.

For the almost $300 periodontist bill, they paid their Standard Amount for
such a procedure, $81!

Medical insurance is just like glass damage insurance on your auto policy.
A self-pay windshield replacement is $200 to $300, even with an offer of
cash. The insurance company pays about $100 for exactly the same job. And
the windshield guy accepts it!

There otta be a law!

Jim Ussailis
jim at nationalwireless.com