[Hidden-tech] Powermat magnetic induction chargers

ussailis at shaysnet.com ussailis at shaysnet.com
Tue Feb 8 19:03:10 EST 2011

I have had an issue with these devices for some time. Essentially they are
a transformer along with a normal battery charging power supply.

A 60 Hz (our AC line frequency) transformer consists on two coils wound
around a common iron core. The core contains the magnetic flux generated by
AC electricity going thru the 'primary' winding, the alternating magnetic
flux developed by this action, in turn, generates AC electricity in the
secondary winding.

By changing the number of turns on either of the coils, voltage is stepped
up or down.

Now these gadgets do the same thing, but don't have a common iron core.
There is a small gap between an iron core associated with each winding.
This impacts efficiency. Typical normal transformer efficiency is in the
95% region. The gap reduces this. How much? depends on the size of the gap.
I don't know how much that is, so I can't answer this question. But I do
know that it doesn't take much of a gap to change things.

Now is less efficiency charging a cell phone going impact the planet? I
hardly think so. We are talking very small amounts of energy here. Then are
a million or two of these things going to impact global warming? Probably
not. But that 'probably' is something to concern us.

Sum up a lot more 'probablies' from everything else and, "Houston, we have
a problem."

Jim Ussailis