[Hidden-tech] Rules for digital paperwork, receipts?

Shawn Fumo programming at shawnfumo.com
Sat Dec 17 09:57:28 EST 2011

Hi all,

I was curious if any of you have any insights or pointers for more
information on the subject of digitizing physical paperwork. I'd like
to reduce what I currently have in filing cabinets and put it into
Evernote as PDFs (perhaps using something like Shoeboxed to start
with). Statements, receipts, etc. seem like they'd be a lot easier to
deal with that way (search!) and take up less room.

What I'm less certain about is things like what the IRS and other
institutions require? And what about retail stores? I know some are
willing to look up purchases if you have the credit card #, but can't
a store deny you if you don't have the original copy? How do you
handle that?

Thanks,
Shawn