[Hidden-tech] Network question

Tom Kopec tek at acm.org
Thu Dec 1 10:59:40 EST 2011

just to clear (or muddy) the waters on some technical details.

1) gigabit ethernet uses all four pairs; 10M and 100M ethernet generally
use fewer pairs.
2)ethernet hubs are 'bad', because when you have hubs you can have
collisions and backoffs. Hubs can multiply the effect of a bad cable.
any modern ethernet switch, however, will never have a collision on any
port.
3) a bad cable can raise heck, because it may 'kind of' work. In some of
my work, we push ethernet to its limits, and I've had to deal with the
bizarro effects of bad cables more often than you'd believe.
4) Matt is dead on as to process: start from the uplink and work
backwards, and ditch any hubs. Be careful when measuring throughput that
there is no other traffic.

...tom