[Hidden-tech] need Access database created

Bruce Hooke bghooke at att.net
Mon Aug 22 00:51:27 EDT 2011

I have done a good bit of work with developing Access databases at various scales, from one to two user size to major banking industry settings with dozens of users. If scalability is the issue keep in mind that the data component of an Access database can be put into SQL Server ($$$) at which point the whole thing becomes very scalable (but also more expensive). However, I don't think scalability is the primary issue to focus on since I am guessing that you are not dealing with needing to have a lot of concurrent users accessing your database at one time.

I would echo those who say that you should first look carefully at the existing software solutions. Customer relationship management software is pretty common and many of the CRM systems (such as Salesforce) can be customized. So, unless you have some very specialized needs I would start by looking at the already available CRM systems and see if there isn't one that can do what you need right off the shelf, or if necessary with a little customization, if that is an option with the system you are looking at. Only once you have ruled out the available off-the-shelf software is it time to start looking at custom-developed software since custom software will always be more expensive than off-the-shelf software.

When looking at CRM software one key issue you will have to decide on is do you want something that runs on one local computer (or on a small office network) or do you want something that is online and so can easily be accessed from multiple locations. Both have advantages and disadvantages. A software package that runs on your local PC or on a small, local network is likely to be cheaper over the long haul, but of course it can't easily be accessed from multiple locations. An online system is more likely to be customizable. Even with a fast Internet connection there is always going to be some delay when working online, which can get annoying if you are using the system a lot. Also, there are some limits to the way the web works that inherently makes it a little less efficient as a way to run software. An online system should come with some sort of data backup as part of the package while if you run the software locally you need to take care of that issue.

One final thought...while you are trying to find a CRM system use a spreadsheet to store the data you are collection and make sure to put the first and last names in separate columns on the spreadsheet. A spreadsheet is much easier to import into a database than a text document (e.g., Something in Word) and most databases store the first and last names separately, which means that if you enter both in one spreadsheet cell now you will have to go back later and separate the names.

If you have questions I'd be happy to give you more input since I have dealt quite a bit with both databases and CRM systems. I could develop a customized system for you in Access but as you can tell I really think there are better ways to go in most cases.

Bruce

  _____