[Hidden-tech] Half-time job: designer/technologist/programmer needed at UMass in Worcester

DAVID SPOUND dspound at mac.com
Wed Sep 8 14:30:22 EDT 2010

Dear Hidden Tech folks,

Back in early August, I posted a message about a work opportunity at the Center for Mindfulness in Medicine, Health Care and Society -- a wonderful organization at UMass Medical School in Worcester for which I am a staff member.

While we did receive a few strong applications, the timing of our posting may have resulted in our receiving fewer applications than we expected. Although we have started our interviews, we are hoping that by posting the job opening again after Labor Day we will receive a few additional applications.

Our programs are growing, and we need additional staff to help us support that growth. This new position is somewhat unique in regard to the type of organization in which it is located; the focus of our work involves applications of mindfulness meditation in health care, business, and education. Therefore, the ideal candidate would have solid graphic design and technical skills and also personal experience with mindfulness meditation.

Please read the listing below if it would be of interest to you. And please forward this message to anyone you know outside of Hidden Tech who might be interested.

Regards,

David Spound

The Center for Mindfulness in Medicine, Health Care, and Society at the University of Massachusetts Medical School in Worcester, MA is seeking a programmer/designer for a half-time (up to 20 hours/week), non-benefitted position with flexible hours.

The work requires being on-site at the Center for Mindfulness 2-3 days per week. A small portion of the work could be done off-site.

This Instructional Technologist position involves all phases of design and implementation including analysis of user needs as well as design, programming and implementation of technology and curriculum projects.

This position is available immediately. Duties will include:
Content updates on the web site and perhaps work on a site-wide redesign
Design and implementation of email newsletters and marketing bulletins via Constant Contact
Design of postcards, flyers, brochures, and PowerPoint presentations
Editing of photos and videos

The ideal candidate for this position would have a strong background in:

1) Graphic design including the creation of web sites, email newsletters, and print pieces such as brochures, flyers, and postcards. Experience with Adobe Creative Suite Software (especially Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and InDesign) and Microsoft Office software is essential.

2) Online communications including social media, distance learning, and audio/video conferencing.

3) Web programming including HTML and JavaScript. While the web site is hosted in a content management system, the applicant must be able to adjust web page formatting by directly editing HTML code.

4) Online marketing including email campaigns via Constant Contact, ad campaigns using Google Adwords, and the creation of web-based course registration and/or e-commerce forms that integrate code from online payment systems (such as PayPal or Google Checkout).

In order to understand the work of our organization and make appropriate choices in design and programming tasks, it would be most helpful if the applicant had a personal meditation practice.

The applicant must be able to handle several simultaneous projects and work both cooperatively and independently. Attention to detail, ability to meet deadlines, and a professional approach are essential.

TO APPLY:
Applications for this position must be submitted online through the UMass Medical School Human Resources Department website. Applications and resumes submitted directly to the Center for Mindfulness will not accepted. A link to the official job description and application form on the UMass Medical School Human Resources web site is available on this web page:
<http://www.umassmed.edu/cfm/openings>.

To learn more about the Center for Mindfulness and its work, visit
<http://www.umassmed.edu/cfm>.

Questions about this position may be addressed to:
rene.theberge at umassmed.edu