[Hidden-tech] Google Docs & Versioning

Town Websites townwebsites at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 12:28:13 EST 2010

Google docs provides a good distributed text versioning system for the
price.  The differencing tools are minimal and you'll probably want to use
this for text only (IE, remove all formatting).

The real key to success is getting the people to comfortably use the system,
and I think that will be true for nearly any system you could set up.  If
the people have already being using Google docs (or at least have a Gmail
account) that will improve your odds of success.  I don't know of any system
that's likely to do better if you have a small distributed project, with
people who don't already do significant work together, and a low budget.

If you've got a domain associated with the project which you can set up with
google apps, and buy-in from the four people to use accounts on that apps
domain, that's the direction I'd go to limit the amount of explicit file
sharing you'd need to do and give you some other shared tools you might want
to use for this project or some other project in the future.  Apps starting
cost is zero for up to 50 users on a domain.

Charlie Heath

Town Websites