[Hidden-tech] Thanks to all those great Web designers - curious about the new generation/work expectations

Chris Hoogendyk hoogendyk at bio.umass.edu
Fri Mar 5 13:41:44 EST 2010

hmm, generalizations everywhere.

I always thought of my older brothers as the boomer generation. Not me.
It's not exactly like the whole population turns off reproduction for a
while and then suddenly all give birth at once. "Generations" melt into
one another.

Is there any such thing as the Sputnik generation? That would be me (a
bit younger than the kids in "October Skies" -- nice movie based on a
true story). We sat on a blanket in our backyard when I was a kid and
watched Sputnik fly over. Identified constellations too. That was before
the skies over the Denver suburbs were too light polluted to see much.
Then, in High School, in La Junta, Colorado (where Sandra Bullock's
character in "The Net" claimed to be from), I had 3 full years of
Chemistry including quantitative analysis and qualitative analysis. That
was on top of the Biology, Physics, and Math every semester all the way
up to Calculus. All that in a relatively small rural High School. I
think you would be hard pressed to find that level of science in most
High Schools today.

Sometimes, in the politics of today, I think "Science" has become a bad
word.

Chris Hoogendyk

-
   O__  ---- Systems Administrator