[Hidden-tech] Thanks to all those great Web designers - curious about the new generation/work expectations

Amy Zuckerman az at a-zinternational.com
Wed Mar 3 12:36:27 EST 2010

Hi Folks,

I have received a number of responses from some pretty impressive Web
designers out there eager to get my business lines up and running more
smoothly, plus meet some of the most fantastic media and global industry
professionals out there today, not to mention print/online publishers and
national/global marketing/PR people.

I purposely made it clear that I want professionals, only, because I have
had a lot of trouble in the past year with college students and
20-somethings who do not have any experience in the work world. I LOVE
working with this age group, as many of you know from the 40-plus programs I
developed and ran when I was co-chair of Hidden Tech (as well as HT's
founder) from 2002 - 2006, with some programs I designed running through the
spring of 2007.

I only mention this because I am curious if others have had issues with this
upcoming generation of this sort:

I actually had three kids threaten to sue me for something like $20 withheld
when they quit projects because they had better things to do, or so they
said, and didn't feel like working.  Another 20-something threatened to sue
me for $60 when I didn't personally drop off her check at her house!! This
same young woman cited my violation of HIPPA standards, not having a clue
they relate to health care security. Sigh . . .

In all cases, plus the more recent one mentioned with some pique by me in
the last email, I offered to give each a second chance if they were willing
to come back to work and sort out what bothered them. Also, they exhibited
zero understanding of small claims court requirements and did not seem to
understand that people who ditch out on work don't usually get paid. In
fact, they didn't realize that interns rarely get paid, though I always pay
trainees who show commitment.

My aim is to not beat up on kids, but learn a) if others share these sorts
of experiences, and b) what you have done about them. In 20 years in
business, plus 10 years running news desks and newspapers I have NEVER
encountered this sort of attitude. Much has been written about the so-called
Milleniums and their attitude issues. Now I'm seeing what these writers and
business managers are describing first hand.

We want to encourage this generation to succeed, right?

 As my new staffer, Ashely Deiana told me when she interviewed, it's pretty
tough out there for college grads today. She was delighted to get work from
me and the payment I offered for training, which was above minimum wage. I
can tell you that Ashley and Kate Korolov, another recent staffer (now in
New Zealand) are real pros; just the sort of people I would recommend to
anyone.

So, fill me in on your experiences. I have journalists and editors out there
interested in what we have to say. NO NAMES PLEASE.

best,

Amy Zuckerman
HT Founder